I’m excited to share a fantastic Vegan Bubble and Squeak Cake recipe with you. If you’re wondering what exactly bubble and squeak is, don’t worry; I’ve got your back.
These vegan bubble squeak cakes are a traditional British dish, and it’s a great way to save leftovers from veggies and mashed potatoes. Not only does it help reduce food waste, but it also tastes incredibly delicious.
You can enjoy these crispy patties for breakfast, as a side, or even make them the star of your meal.
What is Bubble and Squeak?
This classic British dish that uses leftover veggies, especially mashed potatoes, and cabbage. Dating back to the 18th century, it gets its name from the delightful sounds it makes while cooking.
Despite its humble beginnings, bubble and squeak are surprisingly delicious, making it the ultimate leftover makeover. Enjoy it as a side dish, main course, or hearty breakfast. So, let’s dive into this simple and satisfying recipe!
How to Make Bubble and Squeak Cakes?
The first step in making bubble and squeak is gathering your leftover vegetables.
This could include;
- Mashed, roasted, or boiled potatoes
- Cooked cabbage, sprouts, broccoli or greens
- Cooked carrots
- Garlic cloves
- Cooked parsnips (optional)
Chop everything up, give it a good mash, and, if needed, use a tablespoon or two of vegan mayonnaise or a flax egg to bind it all together.
Heat oil or vegan butter in a frying pan and transfer the mashed mixture. Flatten it out with a spatula and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Flip it over and fry the other side for another 5 minutes or until it’s crispy. If it falls apart when you flip it, press it back together.
I like to shape smaller patties from the mixture for easier flipping and even frying on both sides.
Consider adding dried or fresh herbs for extra flavor, depending on how you originally cooked the veggies. If the veggies were already seasoned, you might not need extra herbs.
These Vegan Bubble and Squeak Cakes can be served in a variety of ways, including scrambled tofu or vegan sausages for breakfast. Consider serving them alongside a fresh garden salad or roasted vegetables for lunch or dinner.
You can make a tasty sandwich by putting bubble and squeak cake in a burger bun with vegan coleslaw, vegan cheese, and pickles. Get creative and enjoy!
Bubble and Squeak Cakes (Vegan-Friendly)
Enjoy a tasty vegan take on a British classic – crispy bubble and squeak cakes made with mashed potatoes and veggies, perfect for a hearty meal.
- 4 medium-sized potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced (optional))
- 1 leek (finely sliced)
- 200 g 7 oz cabbage, cut into ribbons
- 1/2 cup of flour (for coating)
- 2-3 tablespoons of vegan butter or oil for frying
- Peel, chop, and cook the potatoes until they’re soft. Drain and mash them roughly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Gently fry the onion, garlic (if using), and leek until they’re softened.
- Cut the cabbage into ribbons and blanch it in boiling, salted water for 2 minutes. Drain immediately.
- Mix all the cooked vegetables together. Shape the mixture into palm-sized cakes and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, roll the cakes in seasoned flour and gently fry them in olive oil until they’re brown and crunchy on the outside and heated through to the middle.
- Start by preparing the potatoes. Peel, chop, and cook them in boiling water until soft and easily mashable. Drain the cooked potatoes and place them in a mixing bowl.
- While the potatoes are hot, mash them roughly with a fork or potato masher. Season the mashed potatoes generously with salt and pepper, adjusting to your taste. Set this mixture aside.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a separate pan over medium heat. Add the finely chopped onion and minced garlic if using. Sauté them until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the sliced leek to the pan with the softened onion and garlic. Cook until the leek becomes tender and combines well with the other ingredients.
- Bring water to a boil in a separate pot and add a pinch of salt. Quickly blanch the cabbage ribbons by immersing them in the boiling water for about 2 minutes. This will soften the cabbage. Drain immediately and set it aside.
- Now, it’s time to combine all the prepared vegetables. Add the sautéed onion, garlic, and leek to the mashed potatoes. Mix well, making sure all the ingredients are evenly distributed. Finally, gently fold in the blanched cabbage.
- Once thoroughly combined, it’s time to shape the bubble and squeak cakes. Scoop up a portion of the mixture and form it into palm-sized cakes. You can shape them into round patties or any other shape you prefer. Placing them on a baking sheet, cover and refrigerate them for at least 30 minutes. This helps the cakes hold their shape when frying.
- When you’re ready to cook, take the refrigerated bubble, squeak cakes and gently roll them in a plate of seasoned flour. Ensure that each cake is coated evenly with a thin layer of flour.
- Heat vegan butter or oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Once the pan is hot, carefully add the cakes. Fry them until golden brown and crispy outside, ensuring they’re heated in the middle. This should take 4-5 minutes per side.
- Remove them from the pan once the bubble and squeak cakes are beautifully golden and crisp. Place them on a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Serve your Vegan Bubble and Squeak Cakes hot as a delicious side dish or a main course. They’re excellent with vegan gravy or a side of your choice. Enjoy your homemade, comforting, and flavorful bubble and squeak cakes!